Tuesday, December 16, 2008
I realize he had a large congregation and shook hundreds of hands week to week. But, somehow I just don't believe that hearing the same story 4 Sundays in a row of my aunt who had Leukemia was new news to him... It just didn't matter!
Fast forward one year later. It is now 1999. My dad is diagnosed with cancer. I am 16 years old. Each week I would add his name to the prayer request list and no response (my dad wasn't a member - he lived in Nashville, I lived in Jackson, TN). My dad battled cancer for exactly one year, and then we lost him. 3 Sundays in a row my mom and I talked to the pastor after the service about losing my dad, each time again he acted like he had never seen us before. No letter, no follow up, nothing. He had 2 teenage girls, members of his church who had lost an aunt and their father in back to back years - and the pastor didn't even care enough to commit our conversation from the previous week to memory... I was really hurt by the church. Luckily I kept my anger directed just at this church, not all churches and not God.
Fast forward to present. A year ago I started attending Cross Point at the recommendation of my friend Tiana. Loved this church from day 1. Felt like this church was everything I was looking for in a church. It was almost as if their goals for a church were taken directly from my heart. Plus the pastor seemed to care.... Really care about people. And I would not consider this a small church. It has 4 services on Sundays. It's not huge - but it's not tiny either. Beginning of December I left a comment on the pastors blog (http://www.withoutwax.tv/). Just a simple comment voicing my view on teaching your kids about Santa Claus.
And guess what - the pastor emailed me. Me, personally. I have never personally met him. I have not yet joined his church... It didn't matter... He sometimes gets hundreds of comments A DAY. But, he cared what people had to say and he took the time to respond. And you know what? That matters! It means I matter... and to a person attending a church - you want to feel like you matter... Not necessarily that your opinion posted on his blog is that important... but at least you know that in a time of crisis - this is someone you could ask to pray for/with you and know that YOU MATTER.
He read my comment, took the time to email me, and went and read my blog... Me, one of hundreds...
Thanks Pete - you made my day!
Friday, December 5, 2008
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Finals & Papers & Bears - Oh My!!!!
The end of the year has snuck up
on me and now the semester is ending!
I'm so ready for the weekend so I can start studying - Not that I look forward to studying but I have no time between now and then and the anticipation of all that I need to review is almost unbelievable. Time flies. How did Fall get here so fast?
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
What are your thoughts on this?
Prayer & Potluck Series
Bring a dish and matters of the heart
prayer, praises, etc...
Check your baggage at the door!
As Pastor Pete said Sunday - Relationships are what define us - your relationship with others will be your legacy that you leave behind.
Tiana - relationship with mother and new boyfriend
Alex - relationship with mother, Hunter, and relationship with her child
Deidre - relationship with her mother, her aunt & uncle, and her friends
Jessica - relationship with her mother, friends, (Robbie (bad))
Me - relationship with Rich, my sister, and my stepsister
Notice a trend... RELATIONSHIPS...
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Me, and my sister and Ava watched the movie Happy Feet (first time for me) Very cute movie and Ava loves the music and LOVES to dance.
Her party was postponed to this past Sat. I just could not believe she is one already this year has flown by! Ava loves Dora the Explorer and got lots of Dora gifts - a Dora doll, couch, a Dora Car.
Ava & Isabelle are both walking now "tenatively." Not full speed walkers but can take a few steps unassisted.
That's the latest on the babies. Isabelle's first birthday is next Sat!
Nothing exciting going on in law school. A fellow student's husband works for the jail and has invited us to "go through the booking" process. Unless, that equals extra credit you can count me out!
I missed Church last week due to family being in town and we were all in Mount Juliet - which was disappointing because I'll be missing this Sunday too for Baby Girl #2's birthday. Luckily my church is really cool and has cds of the sermon so you can catch up on what ya missed. I am so blessed to have found Cross Point, I truly believe it is "what" I am looking for in a church. It helps that I have friends that go there and that my boyfriend started going when I did and he loves it too. But, trust me that is not WHY I would pick a church. I will always visit my friends' churches but if it is not for me I would not continue to go just because my friends do.
Thursday, July 31, 2008
My boyfriend Rich left for Alaska yesterday, which is not all snow and ice- year round, contrary to popular belief. The weather is supposed to be 60-70 degrees while he's there. He'll be there a month. I'm so jealous. He gets to work at a resort with his best friend. He assures me that there are NO women in Alaska and if there are, then they are burly. While it's nice to get a break, one month is way too long and I will miss him a LOT! But, it leaves me with more free time to study, so I guess I will survive.
Thursday, July 3, 2008
a tupperware container of my dad's stuff that I found in my mom's garage last weekend
Some really cool black dishesOk these aren't black - but you can pretend!
What color is your toothbrush?
White and yellow
Are you a morning person or a night person?
Night, and I really wish I was a morning person. But, I truly despise getting up early, I abuse my snooze button, have to set several alarms and I am not usually pleasant if forced to wake up before I want to. Solution: See below this is how I should be woken up.
What is your favorite color(s)?
all shades of blue, particularly teals & turquoises, saphire, etc...
When do you go to sleep?
11pm, but 10 or 10:30 and I would be less cranky in the morning!
What were you doing at 8:00 a.m.?
walking into my office, or sitting at my desk drinking coffee
What were you doing 45 minutes ago?
sending subpoenas via certified mail, then filing them, very exciting morning so far!
What is your favorite candy?
Chocolate - I love Snickers, Twix, Reece's Cups, and Whatchamacallits
Sweet - Sour Patch Fruits, I will settle for Sour Patch kids, but the fruits are way better, I also love skittles
What is the best ice cream flavor?
I have lots of favorites - I really like World Class Chocolate from Baskin Robbins, Rocky Road, just plain good ol' Chocolate, Mint Chocolate Chip
What is the last thing you had to drink?
Unsweet Tea at Big River
What are you wearing right now?
Gray - Ann Taylor pants, Blue Limited shirt with cream colored laci cami under it
What is the last thing you ate?
Grilled Chicken & Shrimp from Big River
Do you take vitamins daily?
I just started my Mom gave me the One-A-Days with Energy
What are you doing tomorrow?
Sleeping in then going downtown to watch the fireworks
What color is your car?
How many states have you lived in?
2 I was born in North Carolina but have lived in TN since I was 2
Are you better at math or art?
Neither, but I would have to pick Art, because I've always made b's & c's in Math and made an A in the one or two art classes that I have taken
Where did you go to pre-school, if you went at all?
Mckenzie - School of Discovery
of which I have very strong memories of our Christmas program & learning the song "I'm gettin nuthin for Christmas, Mommy & Daddy are mad, I'm gettin nuthin for Christmas... Cuz I ain't been nuthin but bad." I thought that was the funniest song ever!
Something you hate more than anything?
inconsiderate people, I don't really HATE anything but have plenty of pet peeves or dislikes!!
For example: mustard, oatmeal, olives - I don't hate them and I could eat them if I HAD to but I really really dislike them!
Do you wear contact lenses or glasses?
contacts during the day and glasses at night
I got glasses in 5th grade and graduated to contacts the summer before my 7th grade year
Do you believe everything happens for a reason?
Absolutely. It's all part of God's plan!
Do you like your job?
LOVE my job.
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Herewith at this happy time of year, a few confessions from my beatingheart: I have no freaking clue who Nick and Jessica are. I see them on thecover of People and Us constantly when I am buying my dog biscuits and kitty litter. I often ask the checkers at the grocery stores. They neverknow who Nick and Jessica are either. Who are they? Will it change my lifeif I know who they are and why they have broken up? Why are they so important?
I don't know who Lindsay Lohan is either, and I do not care at all aboutTom Cruise's wife.
Am I going to be called before a Senate committee and asked if I am asubversive? Maybe, but I just have no clue who Nick and Jessica are.
If this is what it means to be no longer young, it's not so bad.
Next confession:I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it doesnot bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against.
That's what they are: Christmas trees.
It doesn't bother her me a bit when people say, "Merry Christmas" to me.
I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto.
In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu.
If people want a creche, it's just as fine with me as is theMenorah a few hundred yards away.
I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period.
I have no idea where the concept came from that America is an explicitly atheist country.
I can't find it in the Constitution, and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.
Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship Nick and Jessica and we aren't allowed to worship God as we understand Him?
I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where Nick and Jessica came from and where the America we knew went to.
In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is alittle different:
This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking.
Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her
"How could God let something like this Happen?" (regardingKatrina)
Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response.
She said,"I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out.
How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?"In light of recent events...terrorists attack , school shootings, etc.
I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found recently) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK.
Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school .
The Bible says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself
And we said OK. Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage
their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide).
We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said OK.
Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves. Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out.
I think it has a great deal to do with "WE REAP WHAT WE SOW."Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why theworld's going to hell.
Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says.
Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfirebut when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing.
Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyber space, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school andworkplace.
Are you laughing?
Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many onyour address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it.
Friday, May 2, 2008
1. I love all shades of the color blue.
2. All my life I have been raised as the oldest of 3 kids - but technically I have 3 older 1/2 brothers and now a younger stepsister. I am in the direct middle of 7.
3. I love ice cream and chocolate fudge - not necessarily together - but that's not a bad idea!
4. I was born on April 12, 2 weeks late, in Asheville, NC.
5. When I was little I would convince my sister that my feet smelled like strawberries and when she would sniff and say "no they don't" I would tell her they were like 'scratch & sniff' stickers and to try again - and she would!
6. I always wanted to play with my sister's Ice Capades Barbie and she would never share it.
7. I am moving this weekend into what will be my 15th home in 25 years - and I hate moving!
8. Before I die I want to have seen all 50 states.
9. I have a list of movies that I want to see.
10. I love Gone With the Wind.
11. My mom taught me how to read when I was 4 and I have LOVED reading ever since.
12. I can be a little stubborn. (ok a lot!)
13. I didn't like my best friend, Jamie when I first met her. But we have been friends now since we were 12.
14. I am more like my mom than I care to admit - and I will admit to a good deal - my dad used to swear I was cloned.
15. He also would call me "Little Michelle."
16. My dad died on my Mom's birthday 3 months before I turned 17 - January 4, 2000.
17. I was never just a "daddy's girl" or "mama's girl" I was always both.
18. My dad used to tell me and my sister all the time that he "loved us more than a pig loves slop." -- and you know how much a pig loves slop.
19. My life is not my own - I have given it to God.
20. When I try to "take it back" things don't work out so well, his plan is obviously better than mine.
21. I love lions - because my dad did.
22. On March 29, 2002 - a very special girl entered my life - Addison McKenzie Reece.
23. I love her as if she were my own - (she's not).
24. Addison named me Bebe when she was like 10 months old - It has stuck for the past 5 years.
25. My mom loves Addison as much as I do.
26. I have never had surgery, stitches or broken a bone.
27. Except for my pinky toe - and that REALLY hurt!
28. I have a political science degree with a pre-law emphasis from MTSU.
29. I went to Jackson State for my 1st 2 years of college.
30. My mom remarried a few years ago - to a great man who has the same name as my Dad.
31. That sounds strange but apparently it is fairly common in my family - I have several family members that remarried someone of the same name as their ex.
32. When my uncle remarried a Debbie - to distinguish - the ex aunt became the "bad Debbie."
33. I have another Uncle who is an alchoholic and possibly one of the SMARTEST people I have ever met - so sad...
34. My sister and my cousin had baby girls 2 weeks apart last August - Ava Grace & Isabelle Marie - and they are BEAUTIFUL!!
35. They were the first babies born in 16 years in my family.
36. My best friend had a little boy in February - named Brady - such a handsome lil guy!
37. This year 07-08 I knew 12 pregnant women.
38. I think myspace & facebook are a great way to keep up with friends!
39. My mom's best friend Lisa is my "other-other mother."
40. I have always said other-other because when I was growing up I always thought of my mom's sister as my other mother.
41. My aunt passed away when I was 15.
42. Her daughters (my cousins) and me and my sister all grew up together.
43. Some of my best childhood memories are from their swimming pool, their trampoline, or climbing their tree.
44. I am 1/4 Canadian - my grandma is from Newfoundland.
45. For the record: Newfie jokes aren't as funny as Polock jokes!
46. I love the TV Show Friends.
47. I own all 10 seasons.
48. I still laugh really hard and out loud even if I am alone watching Friends.
49. I like to start Christmas shopping early and I am still never done by Christmas Eve.
50. I have a small caffeine addiction - I NEED my coffee.
51. I'm very independent.
52. My family means the WORLD to me.
53. I love to sing along to songs - I never just listen to music.
54. I have learned that life is short and precious and once each day is gone you can't get it back.
55. I Love to take pictures - fairly obsessively!
56. I love Disney Movies - Little Mermaid, Lion King & Beauty and the Beast are my favorites!
57. Disney Soundtracks have great music!!
58. I cry like a baby when watching sad movies.
59. I love flowers - star- gaizer lilies and yellow and pink tipped roses are my favorite!
60. I believe the elderly are amazing and overlooked - which is such a tragedy.
61. My dad's mother - Mammy was one of the greatest Christian women I have ever met!
62. I love love love to travel! Especially to the beach or on a cruise!
63. I hit the snooze button many times before rolling out of bed.
64. I am not the best budgeter - but I am getting better.
65. My room is typically a little messy!
66. I want to backpack in Europe someday.
67. I love to scrapbook but have no time!!
68. I have no time because I work full time at a law firm, going to law school full time and have lots of babies, family and friends to see. And a still try to make time for my boyfriend :)
69. I love football! NFL - the most I love the Titans & Packers. I also love the TN Vols.
70. I almost cried when Brett Farve retired.
71. I love talking football with "the guys."
72. I love it more when I know more than "the guys."
73. I want to learn how to play golf now and that makes me sad because my dad begged to teach me when I was younger. I could have had lessons and my own clubs :(
74. I am a huge procrastinator - and I hate that!
75. I live for the summer time! If winter disappeared I don't think I would miss it.
76. I believe in the power of prayer!
77. I don't think you should be allowed to vote or to have kids with out passing some sort of certification tests.
78. I'm serious! Kids are the awesomest things and nothing hurts me more to see than parents who don't treat their kids right and treasure them!
79. I LOVE kids. If I could afford it I would have 15. well maybe not that many...
80. I hate getting my pants leg wet or getting my socks wet.
81. Sushi has become one of my favorite foods!
82. I would rather wear tennis shoes or flip flops than heels.
83. My friend Zea says this is because I have never owned expensive heels.
84. I want a puppy - but I want it to stay small and cute and puppy-like and be born house broken and not chew on things. I think I should probably just get another fish.
85. I'm ready to own my own house - but I know I probably won't til I am done with law school - I hate renting.
86. I think it is so cool that Ava & Isabelle (my nieces) are only 2 weeks apart.
87. If I won the lottery and didn't have to work - I would definitely do volunteer work.
88. I have a wide variety of taste in music from casting crowns - elton john - billy joel - to disney soundtracks, aerosmith - to reba mcentire.
89. I love Reba - she is my ALL time favorite!
90. I collect shot glasses.
91. The name Brittany fits me - I have never wanted to change it.
92. My family members are my best friends and my best friends are family.
93. My week is better after Monday nite Bible Study with the girls!
94. Law school is harder than I had imagined. It is so interesting - I actually enjoy most of it. Contract law - NOT so much - even though that is the area of law that I am currently working in.
95. I think kids say the cutest things - I can't wait to have my own kids and keep detailed baby books of all the things they did or said.
96. My family has the best home videos!!
97. We are a FUN dysFUNctional family - it's ok we embrace our disfunction!
98. I love God.
99. I love to be outside.
100. I love good quotes - I collect them.
101. I love my crazy life!
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Thursday, April 3, 2008
------- God's endless love and grace.
My family - esp Mom & Tommy - they do so much for me!
Rich not getting mad at me when I am cranky (which is pretty frequent these days)
Healthy Babies born in the last 8 months - Ava Grace, Isabelle Marie, Asher Noah, Brady Dean, Ella Skye, and Kale Hudson
My Job, (at the law firm) My raise My co-workers
My bosses - I am very greatful to work for 3 of the greatest attorneys in Nashville!
Having almost all of my family in TN - this is something that I have mostly taken for granted
I am thankful that it is almost Spring and then it will be almost Summer
Law School - it is hard, overwhelming, stressful, long boring classes (sometimes), interesting information (sometimes) but nonetheless I am greatful to be there...
All of my Friends
Tiana - for her wisdom, encouragement, compassion, concern, inspiration and her friendship... her ability to be a "light" in the world - esp. mine - Her love for God & her Friends is such an encouragement!
(also thankful for her opportunity to intern in NY this summer)
Zea - for her dedication, loyalty, neuroticness (sp?) for her ability to be the friend who is sympathetic & empathetic and lets you vent without trying to advise or fix!!
My mother - for being the "fixer" in my life - the giver of advise - not always the most sympathetic or empathetic, will be the first to tell me when I am "in the right" or "in the wrong" though at the time it is not always appreciated- it is always needed!! For her endless support and love, for the being the one I can bitch at when it isn't her that I am bitching about. For being the first one I call in good times and bad - for being a mother and a best friend!
Jamie - for being there for 13 years now. From middle school, high school, margarita study dates with Melinda Latch's id in college to now being grown ups - at least for the most part we try to be! For coming to Nashville - I don't know what I would do if she was still in Jackson! For loving me, putting up with me, listening to me vent, and being there day or night, for sharing some of the best times together, to supporting each other in the worst times, and for bringing Brady - my handsome lil nephew into my life...
Addison Mckenzie Reece - don't get me wrong I love all the new babies in my life - but this little girl stole my heart 6 years ago, she's the creator of "Bebe" age 9-10 months (Jan 2003) and she's MY girl - just ask her...
................................................... and so much more!